Hydrating serum can give your skin instant boost and prevent further skin dryness and dehydration. Let’s dive deeper what it’s all about!
What You'll Learn
- 1 What is Skin Dehydration
- 1.1 Causes of Skin Dehydration
- 1.2 Consequences of Dehydrated Skin
- 1.3 Best Hydrating Serum For Oily Skin
- 1.4 Best Hydrating Serum For Dry Skin
- 1.5 Best Hydrating Serum For Sensitive Skin
- 1.6 Best Hydrating Serum For Mature Skin
What is Skin Dehydration
Dehydrated skin is characterized by lack of moisture in the “Stratum Corneum”. Not just dry by even oily skin can experience dehydration. Dehydration is a lack of water, not oil. This means sebaceous oil activity can still be normal or even overactive in dehydrated skin.
Both dry and dehydrated skin can experience:
- Irritation, inflammation, itchiness and sensitivity
- A feeling of tightness or tautness
- A look or feel of roughness
- Slight to severe flaking and scaling
- Fine lines, severe redness and cracks that can sometimes bleed
Causes of Skin Dehydration
The top three causes of dry, dehydrated skin:
- Intrinsic Aging: Intrinsic aging is the normal process of physical change over time that’s more about genetics than lifestyle. (Lifestyle-induced aging is known as premature or extrinsic aging.) Sebaceous gland activity tends to decrease with age, and the skin’s natural hydrators decline over the years. The skin’s ability to regenerate lipids comprising the protective lipid barrier layer of the “Stratum Corneum” also declines with age, as does blood flow to the skin, which may cause a drop in sebum production.
- Weather / Environmental Elements: Prolonged exposure to the sun causes water to evaporate from skin, which is why sunburned skin requires more moisture than unexposed areas. Cold winds, air conditioning units, forced air heating and low temperatures can also dry out skin and contribute to premature aging.
- Lifestyle: The trend of fat-free diets can deprive our bodies of skin-friendly Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs). This deficiency can result in chronic itching, dryness, scaling, thinning and can lead to an imbalance in prostaglandins (chemical messengers that do many things, such as control inflammation).
Excess intake of alcoholic beverages and certain medications (such as nasal decongestants) can also contribute to dry skin or dehydrated skin.
Consequences of Dehydrated Skin
One of the biggest consequences of dry, dehydrated skin is an increase in sensitivity, as dryness and dehydration are precursors to sensitized skin. Addressing it quickly can help stave off issues of sensitization. However, don’t immediately gravitate towards prescribing super-emollient cleansers and creams, as emollient products could aggravate dehydrated skin that’s also classified as oily. A thorough skin analysis is your ultimate tool in the successful treatment of this challenging skin condition.
It will be more effective to consult a dermatologist who can suggest you products which will work best for your skin.
Best Hydrating Serum For Oily Skin
Odacité Bl+C : Pimples Serum Concentrate
Black Cumin has a lot of benefits such as anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-oxidant; to name a few. It can even be used to treat skin cancer. So that’s one powerful ingredient. To add to that, Cajeput also boasts many benefits, similar to Black Cumin that cumulatively makes this tiny bottle of 5 ml a one potent blemish treatment.
This hydrating serum works extremely well for hydrating acne prone and oily skin.
Best Hydrating Serum For Dry Skin
Neutrogena HydroBoost Serum
This hydrating serum effectively and quickly absorbs to hydrate the skin. It delivers higher moisture levels for skin and makes it glow! Ingredients such as: Hyaluronic acid addresses root cause of dry skin.
Also it is an oil-free and non-comedogenic formula.
Best Hydrating Serum For Sensitive Skin
La Mer Revitalizing Hydrating Serum
A little on the pricier end, but this hydrating serum is amazing! Even that is an understatement.
Tiny micro-droplets of the Deep Hydration Ferment penetrate rapidly, flooding skin with soothing hydration. This lightweight serum supports skin with sea-sourced energy for your most radiant, healthy, fresh-looking complexion yet. A rush of their Miracle Broth—the healing force that flows through all La Mer products—softens, nourishes, soothes and gives skin the energy it needs to focus on repair. Lime Tea Concentrate is an antioxidant powerhouse that provides vital defense against external influences that can visibly exhaust the complexion. It will leave your skin hydrated like a freshly watered rose!
Best Hydrating Serum For Mature Skin
HealGel Face 50ml – Advanced Anti-Aging Rescue Formula
HealGel hydrating serum has been formulated to counter the visible signs of ageing for firmer, smoother and replenished skin. Ideal for daytime and night-time use its triple phase hyaluronic acid complex provides an instant firming and plumping effect.
Arnica and madecassoside are suspended in liposomes with powerful peptides and biodynes combined with soothing and collagen-boosting ingredients, and the luxurious, unique blend of omega and seed oils hydrate the skin as well as improving elasticity.
Did you ever use Hydrating serum? Let us know your experience in comments!