What You'll Learn
- 1 What is Retinol
- 1.1 Benefits of Retinol
- 1.2 Retinol Serum Side Effects
- 1.3 Best Retinol Serum For Aging/Mature Skin
- 1.4 Best Retinol Serum For Wrinkles
- 1.5 Best Retinol Serum With Aloe Vera and Green Tea
- 1.6 Best Retinol Serum For Oily Skin
- 1.7 Best Retinol Eye Serum
- 1.8 Best Retinol Serum For Acne
- 1.9 Best Retinol Serum For Collagen
- 1.10 Best Retinol Serum For Hyperpigmentation
What is Retinol
Retinol is the animal form of vitamin A. It is fat-soluble and helps keep vision sharp and bones strong. Other forms of vitamin A include retinal, retinoic acid and retinyl esters, but retinol is the most usable. All version of vitamin A together are known as retinoids.
Retinol represents the vitamin A molecule in its complete state.
Benefits of Retinol
It’s benefits include:
- Clears Acne: Topical forms of retinol effectively treat acne. It works by unplugging your follicles and exfoliating your skin cells to keep pores clear. Simultaneously, retinol also helps eliminate bacteria that cause pimples, creating a two-pronged acne-destroying situation.
- Diminishes Wrinkles: Retinol creams work as a powerful antioxidant to help repair skin damage. Retinol can help rejuvenate skin and smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It’s commonly found in over-the-counter anti-wrinkle serums.
- Lightens Discolorations: Retinol and its derivatives are “extremely effective” in helping to even skin tone and fade skin discolorations. This may be due to its exfoliating properties, helping to slough off dark cells to reveal lighter skin underneath.
- Fewer Side Effects: Retinol can be used as an alternative to tretinoin, the latter commonly used in prescription skin treatments. The University of Maryland Medical Center reports that retinol can have the same effects without the negative side effects associated with tretinoin, such as a burning sensation or scaling of the skin.
- Shrinks Pores: Your pore size is set by your genetics, but retinoids such as retinol can help improve your pore’s shape and size. This may be due in part to its exfoliating, which removes debris that may stretch your pores open.
- Hyperpigmentation: One of the best known uses of Retinol is for battling hyperpigmentation. Yes, Retinol is indeed wonderful for evening out your skin tone and lightening up dark spots. It is important, however, to choose wisely, as Vitamin C and Retinol can sometimes cancel each other out [both are known are their lightening benefits]. Also, keep in mind that it is often better to start with a less potent product to allow your skin to acclimate to this ingredient. Patience is virtue, and working your way up can be the best thing for your skin.
- Moisturize: Many moisturizers containing Retinol also include Hyaluronic Acid, which is fabulous for dry skin. Retinol products can also be followed by a deep moisturizer for effectively hydrated skin!
- Brighten Eyes: It is important to note that most general Retinol products are too potent to use on the delicate skin around your eyes. However, there are products out there that are formulated with Retinol to be gentle enough for use around the eye area. As usual, it is important to start small and work your way up! If a product says “use daily”, start by using it twice a week, working your way up to every other day, then every day. Your skin will thank you for this!
- Goodbye Acne: Most people use Retinol for it’s anti-aging abilities, however, this amazing ingredient has also shown its efficacy in fighting acne as well! Retinol helps to soothe inflammation, removes dead skin cells, and has assisted in making pores appear smaller. It also helps to lighten acne scars.
- Soothes Rosacea: While a rosacea sufferer is highly advised to ease into the world of Retinols, it has been proven to help with the skin condition in the long term. If you are interested in trying out Retinol for your rosacea, definitely speak with a skin care professional first! It is also recommended that you start your regimen on a day where your skin is not acting up. You can also apply a moisturizer or face oil before applying your Retinol product to ease the impact of the ingredient.
- Oily Skin: It is said that oily skin tends to tolerate Retinol the best, however, it is still good to work your way up the food chain in terms of concentration. The use of Retinol on oily skin should help regulate the skin for a beautiful, clear complexion.
- Combination Skin: Combination skin can reap the same benefits as oily skin. However, it is important to note that drier areas may need a lower concentration of Retinol to start with than oily areas.
Retinol Serum Side Effects
When too much vitamin A is received in retinoid form, hypervitaminosis A can occur. When levels in excess of 25,000 IU/ day are taken, overdose can occur. Toxic overdose can occur at two different levels: acute and chronic. Acute toxicity can occur within a few hours or a few days of a large overdose. Chronic toxicity takes place when the increased levels are consumed over a longer period of time.
Symptoms to watch for include:
- Blurred vision
- Menstrual abnormalities.
Pregnant women consuming an increased level of vitamin A early in the pregnancy are also at risk for birth defects. The FDA recommends that pregnant women should not consume more than 5,000 IU of preformed vitamin A in any given day. Because vitamin A is carried in fat cells, pregnant women should take care that they are not adding too much vitamin A to their diet.
Best Retinol Serum For Aging/Mature Skin
Tolb Retinol Serum
This serum leaves you with a brighter looking complexion: Many have stated that after only using it for a few times, their complexion looked brighter overall. It reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, leaving skin looking younger.
One benefit that seemed to surprise users was how fresh and silky their skin looked and felt after using this product for a couple of weeks. It soaks in quickly and leaves no residue.
Best Retinol Serum For Wrinkles
Roc Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Serum
Best Retinol Serum With Aloe Vera and Green Tea
Advanced Clinicals Retinol Serum
This retinol serum combats the signs of aging and the look of wrinkles with this potent anti-wrinkle concentrated face serum packed with Retinol, is dermatologist’s favorite skin rejuvenator. It is a soothing formula enriched with Aloe Vera and Green Tea to fight against environmental damage and visible redness and irritation. Encapsulated Retinol anti-wrinkle cream effectively diminishes the look of deep wrinkles and sun damage.
Best Retinol Serum For Oily Skin
Revision Retinol Complete
This retinol facial serum has the power of seaseme extract that keeps skin feeling fresh and plump.
The best thing is that it works amazingly for oily skin and absorbs into the skin faster than you can count!
Best Retinol Eye Serum
Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Eye Serum
It is a well formulated moisturizing retinol serum for normal to dry under eyes. It includes retinol and an interesting derivative of retinol called hydroxypinacolone retinoate.
There’s no question retinol is a brilliant ingredient for skin. The research lauding its benefits is extensive. This serum also includes a range of skin-replenishing ingredients along with moisturizing emollients and silicones.
Best Retinol Serum For Acne
Eva Naturals Anti-Wrinkle Skin Firming Serum
This retinol serum contains a number of different anti-aging ingredients. It even penetrates four different layers of your skin to allow the nutrients to get deep down into the skin. With both hyaluronic acid and retinol, this serum gets collagen production amped up to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
The hyaluronic acid will help skin retain moisture to keep it looking young and fresh.
Best Retinol Serum For Collagen
Yeouth Retinol 2.5 Serum
These ingredients will reduce the appearance of both fine lines and wrinkles, as well as dark spots and acne. The retinol in this serum will help kick-start collagen production. Once collagen starts flowing, your skin will look more plump and fresh.
Best Retinol Serum For Hyperpigmentation
OZ Naturals Retinol Serum
The only Retinol serum with Astaxanthin is proven to minimize hyperpigmentation, fine lines, wrinkles and greatly improve texture and tone.
This is a proven formulation of ingredients guaranteed to be an extremely effective anti-aging skin correcting serum.
These were a few of our cult favorites. Let us know down below what you think. We love your feedback!